Project 2: Sense of Place

Kam Zi Ying (0348207) 

Bachelor of Mass Communication (Hons) Advertising & Brand Management
Taylor's University
Design Principles
Week 10- Project 2

Project 2: Sense of Place

Senses are essential for analysing, planning, feeling, and understanding a particular object, space, or experience. Hence, this project is about observing the surrounding through the senses and adding value to the artwork. 
__

Visual Research 


image source: https://www.pinterest.com/pin/352125264616027786/


image source: https://www.pinterest.com/pin/655484920757050623/


image source: https://www.pinterest.com/pin/45247171247247900/


image source: https://www.pinterest.com/pin/145874475422037557/

Artwork Idea Exploration

From the name of the topic, I was thinking about places that I am most familiar with- my home. More specifically, the places that I have spent most of the time is my bedroom. Especially the window beside my bed and the storage cabinet that I usually sitting infront of it and doing my school works. 


Figure 1.1: Window beside my bed


Figure 1.2: My bed 


Figure 1.3: Storage cabinet outside my bedroom 

Then, I having the idea of combining the storage cabinet and the window in my artwork to show the sense of place. 

Artwork Progress Inspiration

I was inspired from my deep thoughts of every time when I was doing my school work, I have always imagine how good if I am enjoying my holiday instead of hectic from my busy uni life. Then, in my mind, the symbolism of holidays are the beaches, sea, beautiful sky, stunning scenery and aeroplane. 

Hence, I got an idea of presenting the surrealism image of my mind through the window and myself sitting infront of the window doing school work until early morning to show the eager mind for having holidays. For me, holidays are always the best way for me to have a space to get awhile of breath and freedom from the busy life. Instead of showing aeroplane in the artwork as the symbolism of travelling in holiday, hot air balloons are more suitable to match on the artwork theme. 


Figure 1.4 : hot air balloons 
source: https://www.pinterest.com/pin/57491332735250580/

Final Design


In this artwork, the main colours are in a dimmer tone of grey scale. Showing the emotion of the artwork. The entire artwork is surrounded with darker tone of colours elements as borders and the artwork can be view as 2 parts, the upper and the lower. Upper part of the design featured with some image in a brighter tone and a back view of a girl is presented at the lower middle of it. The girl is shown in emphasis on the lower central image, hands holding on the ground looking upward to the window. The proportion of the layout creating hierarchy on the overall image leads the viewers to see from the centre to upper part of the artwork. 

Looking upward of the image, the scene outside of the window is surrealism image of building, hot air balloons, fishes and clouds across the buildings. There is repetition of hot air balloons on the upper part of the window view. 2 goldfish shows the colour contrast to represents as wealth and freedom. Following with the clouds appeared from the mouth of fish creating a movement to leads the bottom part of the design, which shows he surrealism world hits back to the reality.

The overall illustrations reflect myself with the eagerness of holidays in my inner mind everytime when I am doing on my school works. Myself looking to the window of full of building which stands for the difficulties that I am facing and hoping for some breathing space shown with the compositions around the tall buildings. However the surrealism world will never exists and hits me back to the reality. 

__

My Reflection

At first, I think about the ideas which surrounding this topic 'sense of place' in a more complicated mind. It makes me think a lot and still can't give any ideas that suits. Then, after few days I have done more visual research and I change of my mind and start thinking and observing with the simplest way-places that I am familiar with. Bits by bits to develop my artwork and everything turns well to my final outcome. 

__

Comments