Project 1: Self-portrait

Kam Zi Ying (0348207) 

Bachelor of Mass Communication (Hons) Advertising & Brand Management
Taylor's University
Design Principles
Week 9- Project 1

Project 1: Self-portrait

A self-portrait is about our self-personality, interests, experience, and how people see us and are shown in a visual form of an artwork. 

__

Visual Research 

image 1: Self-portrait as a fractured mirror
source: https://www.pinterest.com/pin/1407443623490677/


image 2: expressive portrait
source: https://www.pinterest.com/pin/22166223159559459/


image 3: self-portrait with mixed media by Ginny Lawrence
source: http://beaudesertart.blogspot.com/2015/09/year-7-mixed-media-self-portraits.html


image 4: self-portrait of a black woman 
source: https://fyblackwomenart.tumblr.com/post/56537603199/study-series-by-barabara-walker-her-website


image 5: colour sketch of self-portrait
source: https://www.pinterest.com/pin/18225573483458976/

Artwork Idea Exploration 

Instead of illustrating something that represents me, I would more prefer to sketch myself and show things that people doesn't know about me in the artwork. Below is my sketching. Although it doesn't look 100% as me but I tried my best to sketch it. 


Besides from the sketching, I have added some edges building blocks sketching around my portrait and planning to shown in darker tone of colour to symbolized as my shortcoming and imperfection. Meanwhile, the portrait is planning to be coloured instead of the grey tone of sketching lines.

Lecturer Feedback

The overall sketching is fine. Make sure add more design principles in the artwork explanation.

Artwork Progress Inspiration

From the colour of the portrait, I was thinking a different form of colour as alternative of watercolour, acrylic or spray paint. Then I got an idea of colouring the portrait in lines like the prismatic design.


image source: https://archello.com/es/brand/hou-de-sousa


image source: https://www.pinterest.com/pin/30962316179058190/

Final Design



The portrait shown in prismatic sketches is representing myself have gone through 
many ups and downs in my life experience, some are good and some 
brings negative to my emotions and all these past experiences 
build up who am I now. Although I have tried to improve myself like
how everyone used to, still, no one is perfect.

So, the edges building blocks are shown in darker tone texture 
to represents my shortcoming and imperfection. Creating a contrast
in the overall main portrait. 

Self-potrait of myself without clothes soaking in the sea representing
as my self contradiction. It is because of I loves the ambience of the sea,
especially the wind and sea waves. It somehow gives me a feeling of freedom.
At the same time I was scared of deep sea since I was young, it 
makes me feel like I lost myself like a boat lost its position on the sea.

Hence, the portrait of myself soaking in the sea reflecting to myself
that I always like to challenge myself to do things that I used to afraid of.
Hence, in the overall artwork, the building blocks are shown in asymetrical balance 
and symetrical balance with colour contrast leads the viewer to look 
through the artwork. Besides, the harmonious colour scheme is used
in the portrait to make the artwork more pleasant to view.

__

My reflection

This assignment was really makes me step out of my own comfort zone and challenge myself with things that I am not good at - sketching on people. I tried my best to sketch myself to look alike as me with my very first portrait sketching. Although it doesnt turns out very nice but... I don't care! At least I have tried my best and there is no rule in my own design artwork! In overall, I am glad that I am able to show myself in a piece of artwork that I never think about I can do it. 



Comments